Museum Display of St Thomas a Becket, the Man and our Church.
Date and time: Weekends in September; Saturdays 10.30am to 4.30pm and Sundays 2.30pm to 4.30pm.
Venue: Emsworth Museum, 10B North Street (above the Fire Station), Emsworth PO10 7DD.
Description: This display will cover the history of the church itself in Warblington, Church Lane PO9 2TU, at one time the only church for Emsworth inhabitants. It will include selected aspects of the architecture and history from its origins to the present day. Illustrated with pictures of mediaeval graffiti, interesting tombs, memorials and gravestones, Watch Huts and a 1500 year-old yew tree, together with artefacts, documents and letters written by our forebears. This building has been a haven of quiet, peacefulness and spirituality for 1000 years and still holds regular services; it is open daily so please feel welcome to visit us and experience it for yourself.
The other element of the display will look in more depth at the story of the rise and fall of Thomas à Becket in the estimation of King Henry ll. What changed their relationship from one of erstwhile drinking companions to that of a bitter feud? What was the king’s vision for his kingdom and the rule of secular law, and how did Thomas confound that vision? The story culminates of course with the king’s explosive rant ‘Who will rid me of this turbulent priest?’ and Thomas’ subsequent murder in Canterbury Cathedral in 1170.
About the museum: The museum is open at weekends from about Easter to the end of October, including Bank Holidays and Fridays in August. It holds talks and lectures during the year and there is a different ‘guest’ display every summer month, together with a permanent display of information and artefacts covering Emsworth’s past – its people, the fishing and oyster industries, schools, pubs, everyday life, and of course the author PG Wodehouse who lived and wrote here.
Tickets: No tickets are required, all are welcome. Entry is FREE but, as the museum is entirely run by volunteers, they would be grateful for any donation you can make to help them. Better still, become a Friend of the Museum for the princely sum of a couple of pints of beer a year, and help to maintain this jewel of Emsworth’s history.
Accessibility: There is car parking in the small car park adjacent to the museum, or opposite in Palmers Road, or in a free car park in Bridge Road PO10 7DT. The museum is accessible to all.
Contact: Gordon Braddock tel: 07473 773555.